Author Topic: Music Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 354862 times)

vladgd

Re: Music Gaming Accomplishments
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2007, 07:46:05 PM »
you seem to be making progress faster than me, won't be too long before you surpass my skill ;_;

my progress with 11's has been slow and painful, and it doesn't seem to be speeding up any time soon

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »
Home versions also always have steady timing. RED AC had terrible timing that was different for almost every song.

Also, you're going to be sitting with 11's for a long time. There's no quick way to do it. I usually end up passing half of the 11's in any given style, and then the other half all might as well be 12's.

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
you seem to be making progress faster than me, won't be too long before you surpass my skill ;_;

my progress with 11's has been slow and painful, and it doesn't seem to be speeding up any time soon

Keep in mind I had about a year of O2 experience under my belt before ever getting to try IIDX.

11s on the other hand are probably where i'll get beat down.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »
O2 helps with reading the patterns, but not with learning the controller, and how to play some stuff. And scratching makes it pretty different as well. I've had well over a year's worth of O2 experience (I used to pwn you at one time MilkChan... God I miss those days), and it's not helped me much with IIDX.

Even with say, 80 songs in a game, if 40 of them are below say, a 6, that makes half the game way too easy for me to even play, which cuts the number of songs I'll even play to 40. I'm used to having around 600-1200 songs in stepmania, and anything with less than 600 songs or so makes me feel practically trapped by the selection.

Which reminds me. I need to download stepmania again. Fuck I hate having to reformat.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2007, 12:49:41 AM »
You're totally missing the point.

Easy songs are for improving scores. I can do 11s but I still always play everything on Light 7 once.

Also, play them for the music and just because hell, the patterns could be fun.

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2007, 01:14:53 AM »
O2 helps with reading the patterns, but not with learning the controller, and how to play some stuff. And scratching makes it pretty different as well. I've had well over a year's worth of O2 experience (I used to pwn you at one time MilkChan... God I miss those days), and it's not helped me much with IIDX.

Even with say, 80 songs in a game, if 40 of them are below say, a 6, that makes half the game way too easy for me to even play, which cuts the number of songs I'll even play to 40. I'm used to having around 600-1200 songs in stepmania, and anything with less than 600 songs or so makes me feel practically trapped by the selection.

Which reminds me. I need to download stepmania again. Fuck I hate having to reformat.

Also remember I was passing 30s at that time. It helps with finger speed and coordination. I did have trouble adjusting and finding a finger setup that worked for me on IIDX, and I did hit a few walls (5k wall on 321 Stars, 5* on [n] wall, 6 and 7* wall on [h]/[a]), but I got over them whether with practice or a long time without playing at all.

You're totally missing the point.

Easy songs are for improving scores. I can do 11s but I still always play everything on Light 7 once.

Also, play them for the music and just because hell, the patterns could be fun.

If you were referring to me, I would but the BMUS songlist is kinda lacking in the music department, minus a few good songs (TaQ's songs and Nemesis come to mind). Then there are some good songs, but they're just too dull :/. I like songs that are fun yet still challenging or have something I can drastically improve on (mostly stuff in the 6-8 range...when Gold CS comes out, i'll be whoring Vanessa [n] for the scratches XD).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 01:18:58 AM by Milk Chan »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2007, 01:48:14 AM »
Well, I hate playing stuff that's too easy for me, I get board and tend to do worse than I should because it's not catching enough attention. I rarely get AAAs in stepmania because I get board and don't force myself to work at getting better timing. I'm rather particular with how I play rhythm games. :/

My biggest problem in IIDX right now is getting better at scratching. Stuff like Spin the Disk is an absolute nightmare for me, and if I concentrate on just scratching, I miss pretty much every note in the song. (and still fail miserably at the scratching).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2007, 06:13:53 AM »
scratching comes to you over time

the more you play, the less scratching sucks

*edit*

full combo AA quasar [h]

sweet jesus
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:25:03 AM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
Still, man, it seems that I just suck at scratching a lot more than I should. I mean, I can do pretty well on songs that don't really require scratching. I could pass Genome Screams [h] if it weren't for some of the weird combinations in the one spot (1+3, 2+4, 3+5 4+6, 5+7 rolls). All the other rolls I can do fine, but those are what stand between me and a pretty decent score.Sadly, I have a better chance of passing [h] than either other difficulty. It's about the only 7k in that difficulty area I haven't passed, I think.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »
full combo AA quasar [h]

sweet jesus

On DistorteD CS? I dunno why, but a lot of people say that Quasar is really easy on it for some reason. I actually A'd the Another for the first time ever.

Odd note: when looking at DistorteD or Happy Sky's stats for which keys I time the best, I time scratching the best.

vladgd

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2007, 07:59:52 PM »
yea, distorted cs, beats playing it on 9th.  and considering i did full combo it with a AA, and this is me we are talking about, yea, its easy.  and i can B the another, fail, but aside from one part near the end, ill pass it soon enough.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2007, 11:28:12 PM »
Rofl, scratching is your best timing? wow. That's really odd. I'd say that my best would probably be either key 5 or key 7. Something on my right hand anyway...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »
I'm also told that my scratch technique is extremely smooth in motion.

Ha, my first 12 was One or Eight, which has lots of scratching. One of my favorite 11's, Just a Little Smile [a] is full of scratches and is apparently really hard for other people. Sweet Lab [a] is maybe my second favorite song ever, second only to Watch Out!! [a] from GOLD, which has the most scratches of any song in IIDX.

God I love scratching. DistorteD CS doesn't have enough scratching songs ;_;

It has Caldera though...which makes up for it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2007, 03:40:29 PM »
Damn, well, once you have scratching down well, it's just a matter of practice to play hard key combinations and patterns. With scratching, you need to sorta develop a technique, which I think is probably harder than learning to hit the right key at the right time, there's more technique involved in properly hitting the scratch and being able to still hit other keys and such at the same time.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »
I'm also told that my scratch technique is extremely smooth in motion.

Ha, my first 12 was One or Eight, which has lots of scratching. One of my favorite 11's, Just a Little Smile [a] is full of scratches and is apparently really hard for other people. Sweet Lab [a] is maybe my second favorite song ever, second only to Watch Out!! [a] from GOLD, which has the most scratches of any song in IIDX.

God I love scratching. DistorteD CS doesn't have enough scratching songs ;_;

It has Caldera though...which makes up for it.

I bet you're really good at Setsugekka [a] then :(.