Author Topic: computer wishlist [the realistic one]  (Read 8798 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
computer wishlist [the realistic one]
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:56:42 AM »
Okay, we all do it. We drool over newegg, building things fantasy or realistically. Well, I was tired of building the ultimate fantasy PC, and finally threw together something doable.

Tell me what you think OR most importantly if something is incompatible [I'm human]. Also,  I plan on using my current LCD monitor, DVD drive, and wireless N antenna, hence why none are in the list.

Case - $110
Power - $42
Mobo - $120
CPU - $170
Video - $85
RAM - $90
HDD - $55

Total: $672
Note: all these items will most likely be purchased one at a time and assembled later.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:00:29 AM by Sneaky »
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: computer wishlist [the realistic one]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
Well, as mentioned, the limit of the 7x multiplier on the CPU can limit your overclocking ability.

Other than that small hiccup, looks great. Mind you, I didn't check to see if anything was incompatible.

Man, computers really have come a long way since I put together my old desktop. I also bought my parts individually and put them together (ordered them all at the same time though).

Gah, you're making me wish I had a job. (I will need to get one this summer anyway, but still, I hate being broke.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:29 PM »
I'm not into OC'ing, no need for me to do so, really. I've never OC'd anything thus far, and unless there's a ridiculously good reason for doing it except for squeezing out that little bit more power for a bit more heat production, then I'll continue just regular old gaming haha.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:19:33 PM »
Well, I've noticed a good increase in speed on my desktop when I overclocked it. Mind you, it's stable at 23%, but capable of running 50% faster (absolutely AMAZING for the core and stepping I have).

I really wish I could OC my damn laptop, but it runs too hot as it is. I'm really considering hardwiring my fan into the USB power right now, lol.

But yeah, that does look like a nice setup.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 11:33:14 PM »
I'd probably push the power supply up to around 600W to allow for future expansion (not to mention reduce the effects of wear and tear).  Here's one that looks pretty good.  It's a bit more money, but you get a 600W unit.  Plus, OCZ is a far more reputable company than Rosewill.  Given the importance of the power supply, it's definitely not something that I'd trust to Rosewill.

Case looks very slick and, knowing Antec, it'll be solid as a rock.  Great choice.

Mobo looks quite nice.  If you ever wanted to do nVidia SLI in the future you wouldn't be able to do it with that board.  ATI, yes, nV, no.  That said, I think SLI is a waste of money (case in point: a single GTX 260 is better than two 9800 GTXs and is far cheaper, and a single 9800 GTX is still a very strong card even a year after its release).

Depending on what you want to do it might be in your best interests to jump into a faster dual core processor rather than getting a cheaper quad core.  You can get a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo with a lot of cache (3MB for each core vs. 2MB shared between two cores) for about the same price.  There aren't really enough programs that would take advantage of quad core to justify the price.  In your average game you'll be better off with the 3.0GHz Duo.

I'd probably bite the bullet and upgrade the video card to this one.  While that 9600GT has the same amount of memory as the 9500GT, its memory bandwidth is much greater.  Additionally, it has double the number of stream processors, drastically increasing its processing power.  That particular 9500GT might look better on paper due to it being overclocked but in practice the 9600GT is going to be far superior for about $30 more.  Another very good reason to pick the 9600GT is its thermal design.  Since it's a dual-slot card it'll vent out the back of your case rather than inside of the case.  My dad has a 9600GT and it pretty much goes toe to toe with my 9800GTX (the only difference is that he usually has to pick one resolution setting under me; 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1200 or 1280x800 instead of 1680x1050).  Overall, I think you'll be much happier with the 9600.

The memory looks like overkill, frankly.  I doubt the performance increase between, say, DDR2 1066 and DDR2 1200 would be worth the sharp increase in price.  Plus, the memory that you linked to is out of stock.  I'd probably just stick with a set of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066 chips.  The timings are actually better on the Corsair than the other RAM, it's cheaper, and it's likely to be available when you order it.

And finally, with the hard drive, you can get triple the storage space for $15 more.  Considering how ridiculously huge games are getting nowadays, I'd probably go for that.

Hope this helps! :3
"This is a machine for making cows."

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »
Spec said pretty much everything I was going to. $55 for 250GB is a bit much, if you ask me.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 12:58:55 AM »
With Spec's recommendations, the setup will only be around $705. For 30ish bucks and more performance, I'm all about it! :D

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »
Yeah, that does sound like one nice rig.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »
With Spec's recommendations, the setup will only be around $705. For 30ish bucks and more performance, I'm all about it! :D

Just to give you an idea of what you'll be looking at, that rig will be able to handle Crysis on medium/high at 1280x800 without breaking a sweat.  It'll probably do CoD4 clear up to 1920x1200 (might have to lower the antialiasing, but that'd be about it)...it will be able to do 1680x1050 with maxed out settings for sure.  It'll handle most newer games in general at those higher resolutions even with the detail set to high (...do I even need to go into why I think SLI is a waste of money after typing that?).  All in all, I think you'll like it. :)

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
How about OS choice? I know XP has some deal with RAM that it only supports 4GB max. Should I stick with XP pro for now, since I'll only be having that amount, and dual boot later, if needed?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 05:19:52 PM »
Why XP? To be perfectly honest, I think it's time people started taking Vista seriously.

After having used XP and Vista, and debated the shit out of it with Spectere, I've come to the point where I honestly think Vista is better than XP. Not to mention you won't be able to get the DX10 capabilities without Vista....

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
How about OS choice? I know XP has some deal with RAM that it only supports 4GB max. Should I stick with XP pro for now, since I'll only be having that amount, and dual boot later, if needed?

You'll probably see your RAM max out at between 3.0GB to 3.5GB due to the way Windows handles 32-bit memory addressing.

I'd stick with XP Pro for now.  Windows 7 will probably be out within the year, so getting Vista at this point would wind up being a waste of money.

If you do decide that you want to just move to Vista for whatever reason (for DX10, the fancy interface, to get the x64 edition and be able to access all of your RAM, or because it should actually outperform XP on the rig that you have picked out) make sure to pick out an OEM edition; you'll get the same basic thing for less money.  Also, don't bother with Ultimate.  Home Premium is good enough for just about everyone.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 11:28:32 PM »
So It's possible to get the 64bit vista Home premium on the rig we've built here? I thought 64bit also had something to do with the CPU or mobo and the way it handles shit as apposed to 32

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 01:03:27 AM »
Spec can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the mobo has nothing to do with anything for 64 bit. As far as I know, if you have a 64 bit processor, you can run the 64 bit version of windows...

And yes, that processor IS 64 bit. It's kinda buried in the specifications, but it does say that.

And yeah, Home Premium is quite good.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 02:33:46 AM »
Spec can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the mobo has nothing to do with anything for 64 bit.

Yes, the motherboard does have to be able to support 64-bit.  That said, it's kind of a moot point.  If the motherboard doesn't support 64-bit memory access, it can't support 64-bit CPUs.

But yeah, Sneaky, you can use 64-bit operating systems on pretty much any modern system.