The Chatterbox > Random Chat

The Lamest Topic Ever Conceived

<< < (2/9) > >>

vladgd:
If you put your mind to something, you can get used to just about anything methinks.

Totally different example, and I can't understand russian, but I was interested enough in cyrillic script to easily read something like владгд as my username here. "hey the letters look interesting, what do they mean" and with time I can at least phonetically read pretty much anything the ruskies are typing, and sometimes get the gist of what they mean without google translate.

Now if only reading Japanese was so easy...it's not.

Bobbias:
Yeah I can "read" cryllic like that too, along with Korean and Japanese. The only one I actually know some words in is Japanese though.

Spectere:
When it comes to Japanese I've mostly gotten by with pattern recognition, and most of that comes from playing untranslated versions of IIDX/Pop'n/SDVX. Basically, just being able to make decisions like "no, I don't need to go through the tutorial," "oh look, there's 7th Dan," or "yes, please transfer my data from copula to SINOBUZ." That said, it would be nice to have a better grasp on what's actually being said.

vladgd:
It's a huge time investment to learn a language, but learning how to read the script is a lot more manageable. Still, russian cyrillic has like what, 33 characters? Korean is like 30-40 depending if you count combined vowels or not, still pretty easy and logical. Basic Japanese is like over 140 kana, which I only know like...less than half that right now, then you take that and add learning chinese (kanji) on top of that, and you have a nightmare.

Where is the "i just wanna learn japanese so I can play old untranslated videogames" course in college? I wanna play front mission 2, and...front mission 5...on real hardware without needing a hacked emulated translation.

It's one of those things I occasionally read up on in small "doesn't feel like im putting any effort into learning anything" bites.

Spectere:
This seems like such a minor thing, but I love when devs take the time to ensure that the close button appears on the left side on macOS ports.

I'd also like to offer a huge disapproving finger wag to Mozilla and Google for not giving enough of a shit to put the close buttons on the left side of tabs in the Mac ports of Firefox and Chrome despite it being a widely requested feature. Basic UI consistency should never be considered optional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version